We love things that we can tailor to our wants and desires. That’s why no one will have the same phone background or wardrobe attire. We are all unique and different.
When making big purchases, you don’t always feel unique, do you? You head to the lot and pick out a garage, shed, or other portable building. Then get it sent to your home for its permanent home. What if I told you that there is another way?
You have the ability to help design a custom garage that you can make personal and unique! What goes into building or buying a custom garage? I’m glad you asked.
Is It Cheaper To Build Or Buy A Garage?
The short answer is that it is cheaper to build a custom prefab garage than buy one. You can find a custom garage kit for around $10,000 and construct it on your property with little help. Problems can arise based on your knowledge and experience when it comes to construction products of this magnitude.
If you find yourself making mistakes and needing replacement pieces or more trips to the hardware store, it may be less expensive (and less of a headache) to purchase your custom garage.
Can I Design My Own Garage?
Absolutely! We speak from the experience of our customers helping design their new custom garages. Here are the different things you can help us with when it comes to the look and feel of your new garage.
- Single Vs Double Door
- Roofing (Metal, Shingles)
- Flooring Type
- Insulation (Floors, Walls, Ceiling)
The ability to choose all of these different options is what makes it a custom garage!
Does Adding A Garage Increase The Home Value?
Yes! Whether attached or detached, a garage will increase the reselling value of your home. The percentage changes frequently, but you can expect a 70%-80% ROI on a garage that you put on your property.
Commonly, garages that feature controlled climates are going to bring the best ROI when it comes time to sell your home.
How Much Does It Cost To Buy A Custom Garage?
A simple one-car garage can range in cost from $7,000-$13,000 depending on the level of extras. This is with a square footage cost ranging from $40-$65.
A simple two-car garage can range in price from $18,000-$26,500. This is with the same price range in square footage cost.
A simple three-car garage can range in price from $28,000-$40,500. The more oversized the garage, the more room in the range because of the unknown factors.
A simple four-car garage can range in price from $45,000-$60,000. The most significant expense that will change these prices is multiple floors.
How Long Does It Take To Build A Custom Garage
The project can vary greatly from a few weeks up to 2 months. It can take an average of around 6 weeks for the entirety of the custom garage project to be completed. The main components that fluctuate the timeline are;
- An Existing Garage
- The Size Of The New Garage
- Site Preparation
If you are experiencing anything odd with the timeline of your project, it may be best to call the company directly and figure out what is happening.
Custom Garage Interior
It is really helpful to know what you want to use your custom garage for before designing it. That way, you are able to make interior choices based on what it will be used for.
If you are purchasing a garage to be a storage place for cars and a workshop for yourself, you will want to incorporate helpful pieces for your projects. Custom-built work areas and shelving can go a long way toward making your garage uniquely designed for your projects.
Here are a few details on the other interior choices for your custom garage!
- Flooring – Choosing a flooring material that is durable and visually appealing is going to be important if you plan on having people in your garage. A custom garage for gatherings and parties will require a different flooring option than one for storage.
- Loft – If you are designing a smaller garage, you may want to consider a loft for some extra space. Keeping costs down with a small garage and a loft can be a great way to have the best of both worlds. (Car Storage & Affordable Prices)
- Insulation – Let’s be honest…using a table saw in 30-degree weather is not going to give you straight cuts. Trying to hammer the nail while sweat is pouring onto your project isn’t great either. Why not insulate your garage and control the temperature?
Custom Garage With An Apartment
One of the ways to help pay for your new custom garage is by renting out an apartment above it! An apartment can also come in handy for friends and family staying over, grown-up children, or caring for an aging parent.
Simply adding electricity and water and separating a large second floor into rooms can give you a whole other living space on your property and continue to increase the resale value of your home. Make sure to check your local area codes to make sure you have the ability to do this.
Custom Garage Exterior Options
One of the main exterior options you are going to want to add to your garage is a garage door. (insert rim shot). But seriously, if you are designing a garage, don’t forget to specify where and what size garage door you want. There is nothing better than receiving a phone call about your garage wondering if you really wanted no door.
Here are a few other exterior options for your custom garage!
- Windows – In both style and quantity, these will bring beautiful natural light into your space. If you use a garage as an art studio, you may want more windows than a traditional garage.
- Vents – If you are using your garage space as a workshop, you may want to consider venting options. An open garage door could do the trick, but that would create a problem controlling the temperature. Ask about some options that could be right for you!
- Cupolas – A cupola can give you that visual “architectural leg up” that your garage has been missing. It can also double as a venting option!
Custom Garage Unique Add-Ons
Here are a few examples of things you can add that could take your garage to the next level!
- Utility Sink – This gives you the ability to wash or clean anything you need in your garage.
- Custom Walkway – Whether on the ground or from a 2nd level, a walkway to your house can make it easier to go between a detached garage and your home.
- Charging Station – Do you have an electric car? Or are you looking to get one in the future? It may be time to install a charging point in your custom garage!
- Car Vacuum – It is pretty incredible how messy cars can get. Get your own vacuum installed in your garage for easy cleaning for any vehicle.
- Balcony – If you have a 2nd level in your garage, a balcony can be a great spot to enjoy a meal or read in peace. Incorporate some furniture or a hot tub, and you are set!
Is A Custom Garage Worth The Investment?
A new garage can definitely be worth the investment if you are going to be in your house for a few years. If you design a custom garage to be built and then move away, you may not get the chance to use it! You would basically be building someone else your custom garage.
If you wonder if this project is worth it, ask yourself these questions.
- Do you need more space? If you do, then a custom garage can be a simple solution.
- Do you have a way to protect your cars now? If not, your vehicles can see damage from outdoor wear and tear.
- Are you killing two birds with one stone? Meaning, are you using your garage for work or a hobby as well? If so, it may be cost-effective rather than needing two structures or taking up more space in your home.
If you feel like your three answers make sense for a custom garage, it may be time to take the leap!
Custom Garage Conclusion
No matter where you decide to go for your custom garage, we are here to help you. If you have any questions or get confused with choices along the way, give us a shout!
We also offer portable metal carports for your vehicle, if a portable garage is not exactly what you are looking for.
If you are ready to get the process started, you can grab a free garage quote from us, and we will help you create the structure of your dreams! We hope you enjoy the process of building a unique and custom garage that matches your needs and style! Happy hunting!
Download A Free Catalog
Looking to get your hands on new indoor or outdoor furniture, or a building? Download a free catalog and check out our products before you buy. We have a wide selection of different styles so that you can find the right piece of furniture or building for you.
Stop by Our Furniture Store Today!
We offer a large selection of indoor furniture, outdoor furniture, buildings, and accessories. Check our inventory online or visit us to find exactly what you're looking for!
Quality Home Furniture in KY & TN
Visit our store today or shop our handcrafted furniture online to find your next home furnishing. We offer Amish-made furniture throughout Kentucky and its surrounding states. Never settle for low quality furniture, ensure your next indoor and outdoor furniture lasts!